Looking for a quick lunch or snack with a decent amount of protein? And inexpensive? How about a burrito in less than 5 minutes? I recently came across a new product from StarKist called Smart Bowls. These are their version of a grain bowl. Fully cooked, they can be eaten from the pouch or heated in the microwave after removing from the pouch. Currently, they have four tuna varieties.
Zesty Lemon is a Mediterranean-inspired creation with rotini pasta, kidney and garbanzo beans. Bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, and a light tuna with lemon round out the offering. The 4.5 oz package provides 12 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, with only 2 grams of sugar.
Latin Citrus is a Quinoa & bean combination. Quinoa, white beans, sweet corn, and light tuna are enhanced with a touch of lime and cilantro. A nice 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber.
They also have a Tomato Basil which is barley and beans, as well as a Spicy Pepper which is rice and beans. I have not tried these last two yet, but will soon.
Quick Tuna Burrito
My pantry items include 8- and 12 inch flour tortillas, salsa, and shredded cheese. These and the Smart Bowl are all that is needed for a quick lunch or snack. I use my George Forman grill, but you can use a frying pan
If I only want one burrito, I prepare both and place the second burrito in a zip lock bag before grilling and refrigerate and to grill later.
Starkist Smart Bowl
- Preheat your grill or frying pan
- Remove the tuna from the pouch and put in microwave safe container, heat for 30 seconds.(optional)
- Place two tortillas on your workstation and top them with the tuna
- Add Cheese and Salsa to the tuna
- Fold in the sides of the tortillas, then bring the bottom up one-third of the way then fold again
- Place the tortilla on the grill or frying pan. Cooked till lightly browned.