Do some Cooking to Impress Yourself with this fast and simple dinner. A Pan Seared Tilapia over Spinach Mashed Potatoes topped with a lovely Lemon Butter Sauce. This can be done as a shortcut meal, being finished in about 20 minutes. This is a pantry meal for me, as all the ingredients are things I keep on hand.
I recently went on a cruise and had an elegant dinner, a Pacific Hake. As I ate it and marveled at the taste, I told myself that this was something I could make quite easily. Pacific Hake, also known as Pacific Whiting, is a white fish with a mild slightly sweet taste. Tilapia is similar, and a fish I keep on hand in my freezer.
Course: DinnerDifficulty: Simple
Tilapia With Lemon Butter Sauce
1/4 stick Butter
8 oz Tilapia
1 box Instant Mashed Potatoes
1 cup Spinach
- Melt the butter with medium heat in a small pan or pot with a light color
- Gently stir the butter until it turns to a nice brown.
- Pour the browned butter into a small bowl and add the juice of 1 lemon
- Set the lemon butter aside. It should still be warm when you finish. If not, a quick 10 seconds in the microwave will bring it back.
- Multitask and start preparing the Mashed Potatoes according to the instructions.
- Start the preparations for the spinach. I keep frozen spinach on hand, so it is just into the microwave for me.
- Thaw your fish under running water if it is frozen, then pat dry.
- Lightly season the fish. I did this with a little lemon pepper seasoning followed by a Cajun seasoning.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil, when hot add the fish
- Cook the fish for 2 or 3 minutes on each side. The fish is done when it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Using a thermometer, the internal temperature should be 145 degrees F
- Mix 1/2 cup spinach for each cup of prepared mashed potatoes.
- Using a measuring cup, invert a cup of the spinach/mashed potatoes mixture on a plate. Using the bottom of the cup, press down on the mixture, spreading it out while maintaining the round shape as much as possible.
- Place your fish on top of the potatoes, and pour a little of the sauce over it. Add a couple of lemon wedges.
Tilapia is one of my “Go-To” fish. My local supermarket has a seafood special that is 5 packages of fish for $20. I generally get 2 packages of tilapia, which gives me about 8 to 10 servings. The other 3 packages, I mix up. I try to eat fish at least twice a week.
Tilapia has been called the aqua chicken. The comparison is based on a few items. Like chicken, Tilapia has a mild taste, which some people translate to almost tasteless. It is also easy to prepare and readily available. It is also inexpensive.
The mashed potatoes and the spinach may be too much for one or two servings. Save the Mashed potatoes for a side for lunch. The spinach can be used for the bakes eggs https://www.cookingtoimpress.com/baked-eggs-simple-but-elegant/ A great way to start your day.